Monday, March 19, 2012

Can working out too hard kill you?

I am in a state of bliss right now.  I actually have a group of friends, and we have been friends for years, who are starting to race.  They are getting intense with half marathons and triathlons and even zombie runs!  It's awesome to see friends embrace something you have loved for so many years.  I never thought I see the day. 

Last night, I saw my best girl friends in the world.  We are a group of ambitious women who can have fun and create shenanigans.  They teach me something something every day even though I don't get to see them more than twice a year.  One day, we will all be done with school and be working professions but one thing will stay the same...they were with me at one of my toughest time in my life in college.  They hold a great chunk of my heart and gosh darn it, they have the greatest hugs in the world! :)

Evelyn, Monica, Michelle, Me, Sylvia
So besides pouring my love for my girls, I learned one more thing from Sylvia.  She is the quirkest, smartest girl who will help me train my future puppy or kitten but she also introduced me to "rhabdomyolysis". 

Rhabdomyolysis medical condition that results from direct muscle injury or an altered metabolic relationship between energy production and energy consumption in muscle. Source
 I have been trying really hard to get back onto my training schedule and with weekly (almost daily) infomercials to Insanity, PX90 and other exercise "miracles", I have been thinking of doing something intense to kick start the regiments.  This is until Sylvia told me about rhabdomylosis.  When it is physical activity related, it is often caused by muscle trauma and physical exertion. 

While this is RARE, it has happened where muscle breaks down and the broken down products circulate the blood.  This can been seen in triathletes, marathon runners and individuals who take part in PX90 and Insanity.  There is often an increase of myoglobin in the blood but there not enough protein damage to have kidney problems or failure.  Myoglobin is a protein that binds oxygen in the muscle to help you get through your workouts.

There are four key features to note when you are experiencing rhabdomyolysis:
  1. Muscle pain, stiffness, weakness and occasional cramps.  
  2. Myoglobinuria (myoglobin in the urine) - Rhabdomyolysis often damage red muscle tissues where after it is damaged and it dies (necrosis), it will release myoglobin.  When it is released into the urine, it will produce a dark brown urine.  There can also be a low urine output.
  3. Creatinine Kinase/Creatine Phosphokinase - This creatinine is the same creatinine the body builders tend to ingest in powder form or supplement form.  The Kinase/phosphokinase is an enzyme that breaks down the creatinine.  So when your muscles are damaged and broken down, there is increase in enzymes that breaks the muscle down.  Between 2-12 hours, your levels can rise to 20,000-30,000 Units/Liter (normally it is 2-200 units/liter).  
  4. Malaise, tachycardia (slow heart rate), fever and nausea and vomiting.  It can also involve altered mental state such as confusion. 
There can be complications when there is continual damage and physical exertion where kidney damage and failure can occur.  In a year, it has been reported with 7-10 cases so while it is low, it can happen to any exercise enthusiast.   Physical activity is a great method of improving your overall lifestyle but stay safe and note your symptoms while eating well!  Don't forget to hydrate too!

No comments:

Post a Comment