Monday, December 26, 2011

Cookie Challenge 2011...Continues

As promised, I have met the challenges of my baking extravaganza for Christmas 2011 and there was the good, the bad and...is that a even a cookie?!


In my Cookies Around the World post, I talked about the Nanaimo Bar.  A blast from the past, it was definitely easier to eat this cookie than to make this. It was not as challenging as the Christmas Candy-Stripe Cookie.  Before unveiling my lessons learned...let's enjoy the final product.
Final Product 

But what were the challenges?  
1.  Do not forget the egg when melting the chocolate and the butter. Of course I did so what do you notice?  Your crumb cookie does not set and you get one crumbly HOT mess.  Solution?  If you do forget your egg, toss the crumb mix back into the double boiler and get-ready, set, and STIR your egg into crumb and make sure your egg doesn't cook and coagulate.  

2. The recipe asks only for one egg but I say, add accordingly.  If you don't see enough moisture in the crumb cookie, it will not set and it will make subsequent steps more difficult.  Start with one egg and have another egg ready on deck. 

Add more egg to crumb cookie
3. While the recipe asks for chocolate chips, it was definitely not in my kitchen as most chocolate chips are cultivated in unfair trade methods from my grocery store.  So instead, I used my sipping chocolate from Theo Chocolate.  Sipping chocolate was meant for hot chocolate but looking at the recipe, I was able to substitute it for the chocolate chips. 

 4.  The Peanut Butter section was the most difficult.  Even with room temperature PB, it was not as spreadable as I would love to create an even layer.  Solution?  Use the back of a spoon and start from one end of the pan with a hunk of PB and drag it slowly to the other end of the baking pan.  While it still picks up some of the cookie crumb and create a gaping hole missing cookie crumb, it is definitely easier than using a butter knife to spread it.  Another reason why I need to get a spatula. 

5.  After the frustrating PB layer, I definitely knew the chocolate layer would give me some troubles.  Even before trying to spread this luscious, Fair Trade Chocolate layer....I just pour it over the frozen PB and Cookie Crumb layer and  tilted the pan side to side until the whole baked good is covered.  This ensure an even layer even if everything underneath is not so even.

Chocolate layer.

Dissecting the product.




 The good, the bars are awesome and easy to cut after you freeze it.  The bad, I need to not forget the egg and make an awesome cookie layer so I can create an even PB layer.  Something to try for next time?  Use Almond Butter with slivered almonds (I substitute almonds for toasted walnuts). 

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment