Saturday, November 26, 2011

What is Nutritiously Curious?

"Once there is seeing there must be acting, otherwise what is the point of seeing"

~Buddhist Monk

I have realized recently that as I slowly uncover the truth about our food system, the more skeptical I become.  The more Nutritiously Curious I become.  I can no longer look at a piece of chocolate or a bag of coffee as just a commodity.  I wonder how it may be unfairly cultivated and produced.  Eating organic is not only for the benefits of my own health but for the health of the farmers who harvested the crops for me.  And I do not see a piece of meat without thinking about the workers who slaughtered them and treatment of the animals for the sake of our large consumption of meat in the United States.  The quote (above) encourages me to start the change from within.  Mahatma Ghandi said it best, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Recently, I was honored to meet (again) Mr. ...I mean Dr. Eric Schlosser at the Occidental College where he received his honorary degree.  Author of Fast Food Nation and muckraker, Schlosser inspires me to look at our food system differently and find the Upton Sinclair in all of us.  To question our food manufacturers and producers, not always in the negative light but with inquisitive endeavors.

In a recent trip to the grocery store, I heard a man on the phone asking, "what is the difference between butter and margarine".  This is what our food system has become.  Similar yellow substances coming together in one market where one is made from ingredients our grandmothers would recognize while the other may be a contributor of heart disease.  While some of you may think, well, "I know what the difference between butter and margarine is", but can you imagine how many more of these questions are out there that tickles us with Curiosity?

"What does being Nutritiously Curious mean?", my friend, Brian asks.    In a strange way, it's like being that annoying kid who just kept on asking why?  Pick up any random product and try to pronounce all the words on the label.  Go to your local farmer's market and just explore.  Ask simple questions like, "where does your food come from".  My greatest pleasure comes from reading snippets whenever I can while enjoying my fair trade chocolate and coffee and exploring further what interests me.  Some are silly, others serious and some are just head-tilting interesting.  As I continue to peel away the layers of our food culture, I am inspired every day to practice MY food rules that I can sustain to nourish my body and to feed my Nutritiously Curious soul.  I am excited that I can use my blog as an outlet to share my passions and to share my curiosities.  I hope you will join me and explore this journey with me!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting this up and running! Looking forward to see where your curiosity will lead you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi,

    Great post! I'm excited to see what else you have in store for us. :)

    In the meantime, I'm interested in what your food rules are, and how they might have affected you as a consumer. Have you had to make any sacrifices, or have you been able to find a happy balance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stephanie,

    With food, there are definitely no hard and fast rules with me. While there are some that I really stick to, others, I need to be flexible....I do live in civilization after-all. One of the bigger ones that you will see more often is Fair Trade Coffee and Chocolate. Follow my Facebook Page and you will get a snippet just from today. Others, you will have to stay in stores for. I am sure, along the way, I will develop more. I am certainly a more conscious consumer and that's why I developed Nutritiously Curious. I don't think we have to follow every rule but being aware is the key.

    It seems like you are a chef, do you have any food rules? What's your specialty? I look forward to reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm flattered! No, I'm no chef, but I happen to be a volunteer for a great organization called Ecofficiency.org (feel free to check them out - www.ecofficiency.org) as well as a good friend to an aspiring chef. After reading blogs (like yours) and working with Ecofficiency, I've become more aware of our impact through consumerism. I have to confess, I am by no means an expert in sustainability; but I think that's OK. Just like you, I'm taking my time to discover better ways to become a responsible consumer. That is my food rule! Take your time and try to find out where your food/product comes from; but don't feel pressured to have to become a convert overnight. Take it one step/meal/product at a time. :)

    PS. I'm all kinds of boring (most of the time), so no blogs for me. ::Whomp Whomp::

    ReplyDelete